Nivison Stadium, Onchan
The 1952 FA Cup Final was the first match to be played at the newly opened Onchan Park Stadium, with Ramsey running out 3-2 winners over Old Boys, and the following season, Onchan Football Club moved in to their new home, where the club remains to this day.
History of Onchan – Nivison Stadium
In December 2003 the Hon. J.A.C.K. Nivison CBE died. He had been an Onchan Village Commissioner from 1947 to 1971 when a new act of Tynwald prevented members of the Legislature also being members of local authorities. During his time on the Onchan Board he worked hard to push Onchan Park and Stadium in many ways. He gave freely of his time to compare motorcycle gymkhanas, highland games and ‘Its a Knockout’ in the stadium.
It was Jack Nivison who formally opened Onchan Park in 1951 and he laid the foundation stone of the avairy in 1991 to commemorate the fortieth anniversary of the opening of the park.
At the suggestion of the Administrative Officer the Leisure and Amenities Committee and the Board of Commissioners agreed that the best lasting memorial to Mr Nivison and his untiring work for Onchan was to rename Onchan Stadium and so on 10th July as part of Manx National Week a small ceremony took place and Onchan Stadium was rechristened ‘Nivison Stadium’.